Nov 27 2007

Not Getting Notified When Someone Leaves You A Comment?

Written by Mark MeAndMyDrum | Fave MAMD | Subscribe to MAMD

If you’ve upgraded to WordPress version 2.3.1, you may have noticed that you haven’t been receiving notifications when someone leaves a comment on your blog. For some reason, this doesn’t happen to everyone, but if you insist on getting notified the moment someone leaves a comment on one of your posts, then read on.

Now, I can’t explain the why’s and what’s, but the solution is really very simple. All I had to do was modify my pluggable.php file. This is located in every WP install at: root > wp-includes > pluggable.php.

You’ll want to comment out line 228:

$phpmailer->Sender = apply_filters( 'wp_mail_from', $from_email );

So it should look like this:

//$phpmailer->Sender = apply_filters( 'wp_mail_from', $from_email );

Once I uploaded the file, I made a quick test comment. Seconds later I received the glorious sound of Gmail notifying me I had a gift arrive in my inbox. :)

Random Posts

TAGS:

10 Comments on this post

Trackbacks

1. links for 2007-11-28 | Stephan Miller wrote:

[...] Not Getting Notified When Someone Leaves You A Comment? Fixing a Wordpress issue I have run into. (tags: wordpress comments hacks) [...]

November 28th, 2007 at 4:24 am
  2. Handicraft information » Blog Archive » links for 2007-11-28 wrote:

November 28th, 2007 at 6:21 am
  1. Lori said:

Or you could do what I did…create an email that says wordpress@bloggingcents.com and have it forwarded to your email. It works perfectly..of course you put your whatever.com. I was just taught this from Jay at onlineopportunity.org.

November 27th, 2007 at 3:33 pm
  2. Mark said:

Hi Lori, I’m not clear on what you’re suggesting as it seems to imply a solution to a different problem. What I was outlining above was that WP was not notifying the owner when a comment was made on their blog. This is a problem with some bloggers who upgraded to 2.3.

November 27th, 2007 at 4:09 pm
  3. Hopeful Spirit said:

You’re a genius. This has been driving me nuts. I implemented your solution and, like you, heard the familiar ding of mail coming in.

THANKS! :-)

November 27th, 2007 at 9:49 pm
  4. Mark said:

@Hopeful Spirit
    I wish I could take the credit, but thanks for a nice person on the WordPress support forum, she pointed me the way to the solution. Glad you got it working again. :)

November 27th, 2007 at 9:55 pm
  5. Jason said:

Thanks… Was wondering about this, but would have never doen anything if I hadn’t seen this in my e-mail this AM!

November 28th, 2007 at 5:34 am
  6. Mark said:

@Jason
    It surprises me that so many people have been affected by this. Glad to be of help. :)

November 28th, 2007 at 8:58 pm
  7. Beth said:

Unfortunately, the fix didn’t work for me. I have only noticed this within the last week and thought it might be Gmail and not WordPress. I did 3 test comments and still haven’t received an email-and it’s been 15 minutes. Oh well, I’ll just keep checking the Dashboard, the comments do show there.

November 29th, 2007 at 3:34 am
  8. Mark said:

@Beth
    Try reviewing this thread on the WordPress support forum. It’s what led me to the solution.

November 29th, 2007 at 5:34 am