Go Clutter Free!
- 11 Comment
One thing I hate on blogs is clutter. And yes i’m talking about those super long sidebars, flashing widgets and popup ads. And this clutter could be killing your blog with, longer page loads and the ability to distract your readers away from the content.
So here are my quick tips on how to take your blog to clutter free heaven:
1) Remove Directory Buttons - “but Anthony, the directories I submit my blog to require me to include these buttons” I here you say. Really? Are those directories driving you any traffic? There are plenty of quality that don’t require you to clutter you blog – use em!
2) Prettify Your Ads – Give your advertisers value for money by carefully placing your ads. Make sure they are clearly defined, centered in the sidebar or make sure they fit in with your design. If you don’t want flashing ads – ask advertisers only to provide static banners. In my experience it hasn’t had a major effect on income.
3) Remove Unnecessary Widgets – On wordpress blogs, you don’t need to have the archives or calendar widgets on your sidebar. Calendar is pretty much useless and just create an entire archives page.
4) Small and Sweet – Some blogs have the most ridiculous blogrolls that span pages. I like to have a max of 10 links in my blogroll, and these are just my favorite blogs. All the rest get put on a dedicated “links” page. You can also use a rotating blogroll!
5) Trim the Categories List – You definitely don’t need a category for every single post and I wouldn’t say 10 general categories is enough. To be more specific use the built in Tags (in Wordpress blogs). Surprisingly, having less categories creates a more user-friendly blog.
Do you have any tips on how to cut down on blog clutter?